Problems with NFS

HaJo Schatz hajo at hajo.net
Tue Nov 2 06:51:36 UTC 2004

>> > Jose Rafael Carrero Leon (jrcl00 at gmail.com) composed today:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I have a machine running in FC2 acting as a NFS server, sometimes the
>> > machine goes down for an unknown reason, when the machine starts
>> > again, and start the server, the clients can't mount the filesystems
>> > and keeps telling me that the server is down.
[...]

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:47:04 -0700 (PDT), netmask <netmask at enzotech.net>
> wrote:
>> Do you have the service starting automatically on boot, or do you do it
>> by
>> hand?
[...]

On Tue, November 2, 2004 2:51, Jose Rafael Carrero Leon said:
> the service starts on boot.
[...]

(post re-arranged to keep it somewhat readable) Guys, do us a favour
please and don't top-post. Especially with long threads (which I guess
this will be one ;) ), this is going to be a nightmare.

Jose, I sometimes had a very similar issue. If your problem happens (which
is ususally the case once your server goes down while your clients still
have connections open), try this:

- Stop the server & client services
- On the server, remove all (/var/lib/nfs/* ?) files. Caution: I'm not in
front of a Linux box now and only vaguely remember the path. It is under
/var/.+/nfs though, I'm very sure. Don't remove it the first time but move
it out instead.
- start your server first, then your clients

This problem went away since I changed to using automount for my NFS shares.

HaJo

--
HaJo Schatz <hajo at hajo.net>
http://www.HaJo.Net