fedoratracker.org: An update and a request

Brad Smith usernamenumber at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 14:17:41 UTC 2004

> Repository searches including "Yum" or "Apt or Yum" options all seem to
> return everything regardless of type-boxes checked or "Tracker Links" vs
> "Apt/Yum Config Files" options.  (-: Optimized the choices right out of
> the code? :-)

Fixed.

> Some additions to the comments with cautions about repository mixing may
> be in order, e.g.
>
> ############################
> ## Alternate Repositories ##
> ############################
>
> # Uncomment these to use them -- note that some packages
> # from these repositories may conflict with the fedora.us
> # packages. If you use these repositories, you may wish to
> # comment-out the fedora.us and livna.org repositories.
>
> A link to the fedora.us repository mixing warning
> http://www.fedora.us/wiki/RepositoryMixingProblems and perhaps to
> list would be useful additions to comments, as well as to "Resources".

I have some thoughts on this but don't have time to respond just now.
Short version: I'm hesitant to do anything that so overtly discourages
the use of third-party repos. All arguments of whether or not it woul
dbe better for everyone to come under one roof aside, they are a very
valuable resource that greatly expands the amount of Cool Stuff
available for Fedora (plus I've never broken a system by using one).
My current approach is that if someone doesn't want TP repos in their
list, they should just uncheck that checkbox or selectively comment it
themselves.

I'm open to other arguments provided it doesn't generate into a "many
independant repos" vs "everything in Extras" debate, which I doubt
would get anywhere any time soon.

--Brad