compiling FC2 kernel

abhijit kumar kumarabhijit at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 15:30:11 UTC 2004

sir!
   perahaps i was n't able to express my requirements by the above
mail(sorry for that). i want to edit boot loader configuration for
  kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet

like some "kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda5". but i don't
know what i should write in place of LABEL. i.e. /dev/hda2 , /dev/hda3
or /dev/hda5.

                      so; kindly read the following files and suggest
me what should i do.

My Grub.conf file is :--

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,2)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda5
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
       root (hd0,2)
       kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
       initrd /initrd-2.6.5-1.358.img
title Other
       rootnoverify (hd0,0)
       chainloader +1

My /etc/fstab file  is :--

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda6               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660
noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

df -a output is :--

/dev/hda5             25395572   7120984  16984552  30% /
none                         0         0         0   -  /proc
none                         0         0         0   -  /sys
none                         0         0         0   -  /dev/pts
usbdevfs                     0         0         0   -  /proc/bus/usb
/dev/hda3                99075      7320     86640   8% /boot
none                    254168         0    254168   0% /dev/shm
sunrpc                       0         0         0   -  /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs

As, you want to know about what parameters i am going to change? i 'm
going to change the "sched.c"  parameters.

hoping for quick reply.

Abhijit