Sendmail Milter Question

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Nov 3 11:54:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 19:03, Paul Howarth wrote:
> Ow Mun Heng wrote:

[BIG SNIP]

> >>What's the output of:
> >>
> >>fgrep -i milter /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
> >
> > INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clamav', `S=local:/var/run/clamd/clamav-milter.sock, F=, T=S:4m;R:4m')dnl
> > INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin', `S=local:/var/run/spamass-milter.sock, F=, T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')dnl
> > define(`confMILTER_MACROS_CONNECT',`b, j, _, {daemon_name}, {if_name}, {if_addr}')dnl
>
> You are using INPUT_MAIL_FILTER, which applies to all daemons in that
> configuration file. So these milters will run on both MSA and MTA. To have
> different milters running on different daemons you need to either:

DUH!!! I'm going home now. i'll look at it closer when I get home and
report back tomorrow. Really appreciate your patience.

> 1. For sendmail 8.12.x not compiled with _FFR_MILTER_PERDAEMON
>
>     (this applies to stock Fedora 1/2 sendmails)
>
> You need to have separate configuration files for MTA and MSA. The MTA
> configuration file should not define an MSA; the MSA configuration file *has*
> to define an MTA (you can't turn it off AFAIK), so you can define it to listen
> only on some unused local IP like 127.0.0.2. Unfortunately this means you end
> up with two daemons running.
>
> 2. For sendmail 8.13.x or sendmail 8.12.x compiled with _FFR_MILTER_PERDAEMON
>
> Use MAIL_FILTER instead of INPUT_MAIL_FILTER to define your milters, and then
> use an InputMailFilters option for each daemon to specify which milters should
> run for which daemon.

Got it Finally.

I just tried your

>DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Name=MTA,
>InputMailFilters=headercheck-milter;spfmilter')dnl

and changing the INPUT_MAIL_FILTER to INPUT_FILTER, it does not work.
Likely, it's not compiled with _FFR_MILTER_PERDAEMON

How can one check? What's the
sendmail -d0.? line?

And I don't see the MILTTER_PERDAEMON anywhere within the readme files
in sendmail-docs.

Where Can I find it? aarrgghhh,, wish I have I-net access now!

Thank