Equivalent of Citrix or Windows Terminal Server for Linux?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Wed Nov 3 17:03:46 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 11:47 -0500, Michael Jezierski - Systec Conveyors
wrote:
> I'm thinking out loud here so that's the smoke you're seeing :-)
>
> I'm migrating a clone dual P4 that's running Win2K server to a newer IBM
> box Win2K+3 [yes we have specialized apps that don't run in Linux
> unfortunately] and consolidating some old netware and Win2K servers onto
> one machine. What does that have to do with Fedora? Nothing yet....
>
> But what to do with a perfectly good dual P4? I have another project
> where I'm looking to place some older P3 and AMD Athlon machines onto
> the factory floor and use Linux on those to access limited applications
> - CAD viewer (with Cimmetry) and somehow get a viewer for the financial
> system (we use Sage's MAS90) on there - see if that works on Wine. I'm
> also wondering if just setting up this dual P4 as a "Citrix" (quotes
> intentional) server and letting the workstations view everything off of
> that.
>
> --
> Mike Jezierski - IT something or other...
> Systec Conveyors - Indianapolis, IN
> V: +1.3178909230 x 234 F: +1.3178909232

I'm not sure what it is you're asking - do you just want remote
graphical logins to the machine a la Citrix or Windows Terminal
Services?

You can do that easily - just ssh in to the big server from another
Linux box (using ssh -X) and then fire up your favorite X application.

Am I understanding what you are asking for?
--
A: Because people read from top to bottom
Q: Why is top-posting bad?

Thomas Cameron, RHCE, CNE, MCSE, MCT