White Box /RHEL 3 on a Mac?

Clint Harshaw clint at penguinsolutions.org
Wed Nov 3 18:08:27 UTC 2004

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 09:29 -0500, Scot L. Harris wrote:
[...]
>>Why not use the software that Apple provides with OS X?
>

> Many reasons come to mind. One of them, is to use Free Software, instead
> of mainly proprietary software.
>

>>  It is a BSD type unix system.
>

> Not really. It is based on one such, but its behaviour has been severly
> hampered. Why get a toy BSD-based os when you can get a serious BSD?

It's unfortunate that you feel OS X is a "toy" -- as it's actually quite
good and stable in my experience. I've set my iBook up with Fink and
have access to thousands of non-proprietary freely available software.
Fink's not a toy either -- it's very usable tool allowing OS X users
access to apt-get repos. Were you not aware of Fink?

Hope this helps,
Clint