Equivalent of Citrix or Windows Terminal Server for Linux?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Nov 3 20:06:09 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:
> Michael Jezierski - Systec Conveyors said:
>
>>I thought VNC only allowed one desktop ... anyway.
>

> You are mistaken.  VNC isn't limited on Linux like it is on Microsoft OSes.

Right.  You can run as many Xvncs as you want (via the "vncserver :N"
script).  You access them via "vncviewer hostname:N" where the ":N" is
the display you want (default is ":0").  If you include

	Load "vnc"

in 'Section "Module"' and

	Option      "passwordFile" "/root/.vnc/passwd"

in 'Section "Screen"' of your xorg.conf file and restart X, ":0" will
be a shared version of the main console if you're running in GUI mode
(run level 5).  It's quite handy, and if you tunnel via SSH
("vncviewer -via ssh-hostname hostname:N"), the X session is secure
(and a tad bit slower--not a bad trade off IMHO).
-            We look for things.  Things that make us go!            -