what packages r added to b labeled as fedora core

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Wed Nov 3 20:48:53 UTC 2004

ashwin kesavan iyengar wrote:

|On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 13:57:45 -0500, James Kosin
|<jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com> wrote:

|>ashwin kesavan iyengar wrote:
|>
|>|Hi,
|>

|>|     I once remember reading the official fedora web-site that fedora
|>|core is community based edition and Redhat will use fedora as proving
|>|ground for packages that eventually make its way to redhat enterprise
|>|series. I would like to know what products are being tested in fedora
|>|core and some details about these packages.
|>|
|>|with regards,
|>|ashwin
|>|
|>Hi,
|>
|>I wish there was a short answer to this question.  Basically, we are the
|>proving ground for EVERYTHING.  Fedora Core is for cutting edge stuff
|>and what RedHat chooses to use or not is up to them and their QA
|>department.  (oops, forgot Lawyers)
|>The kernel is one...  XORG instead of the old X11 code...  The new GCC
|>compiler.
|>
|>I could go on and on and on.   But, I won't.
|>
|>Good Luck,
|>James Kosin
|

|Hi,
|      Thank you. I thought this post would b ignored. Aren't they
|already tested products.
|
|Thank you,
|
|with regards,
|ashwin

Ashwin,

They are tested to some degree; but, they haven't gone through 100%
testing until the community of Fedora has gotten their hands on the product.
A good example would be the well known HardDrive bug of FC2.  The
problem wasn't fully realized until it got to the final release of FC2.
Then, luckily, there was a fix for the problem for those that needed the
problem fixed.

Note: The items are tested to some degree; but, not as stringently as
say RedHat would need to to release the item into mainstream.  Right now
FC3 is in testing and should have a release soon.  But, until everyone
plays with installing the release, FC3 has not been fully tested on
every platform.

I'm not sure if I'm describing things perfectly.  There may be a lot of
pretested stuff; but, in the end.  Fedora Core sets the stage for
mainstream testing.  If you don't like this, RedHat's Enterprise Edition
is available with full support.  Other flavors of Linux are also out
there.  Some more stable, some not so stable.

James Kosin