How is ntpd data used -

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Nov 6 22:11:35 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 14:38 -0500, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Either the "offset" value displayed after 5 seconds is as good as it gets
> or I have something configured wrong?

With offsets of -1 to 1 millisecond from your ntpd server, it's as good
as I've ever gotten. Further improvement to get even smaller offset is
going to take hours if not days.

Why are you frequently restarting ntpd, anyway? It will do its best work
if just left alone to run forever.

And one favor: please only reply to the list address. Adding me to a CC
copy just ensures that I get *two* messages, and I would prefer to keep
all my traffic on-list. Nothing gained by CC, thanks.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>