Help with kernel configuration to add drivers

C. Linus Hicks lhicks at nc.rr.com
Sun Nov 7 05:16:05 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 19:01, Jay Moore wrote:

> I've enclosed the complete instructions provided by Antec in the hopes
> that someone can "translate" this, and help me round up the required
> kernel sources, etc. My confusion starts with Step 1: Where do I get FC2
> kernel source & where does it get installed?

Your kernel is probably already configured that way. You installed FC2
so you can look in the config file and verify that for yourself. You
need to install the kernel-source rpm, or if you have applied updates it
is kernel-sourcecode. If you have not updated the kernel, the
kernel-source rpm is on cd3 of the binaries. If you have applied
updates, get the kernel-sourcecode rpm. Just be sure you match your
current version.

Once that rpm is installed, you will see a directory like:

/usr/src/linux-2.6.8-1.521 (this is the latest version, the one on the
install cd is an earlier version.)

Inside /usr/src/linux-<ver>/configs you will see the kernel config file
for your architecture. Compare it against the instructions you posted.

The next thing you probably should do is look through /var/log/messages
to see if you can find any references to the device in question. It
might even tell you what name it got mapped to.

Also check out your /etc/modprobe.conf and see if the installer put
anything interesting there relating to this device.

--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc.rr.com>