FC3 upgrade

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sun Nov 7 12:41:19 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 14:45 -0700, Paul Rennix wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-06 at 20:54 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> > Am Sa, den 06.11.2004 schrieb Eric Tanguy um 20:44:
> >
> > > Someone know if it will be possible to upgrade to FC3 from FC2 ? Because
> > > I remember the upgrade from FC1 to FC2 was very difficult.
> >
> > > Eric
> >
> > Sure it is possible. Most uncritical way is to do it using the CDs,
> > although the online way should work too.
>
> ok, I know this must be a dumb question, but what is the "online way?"
> I'm running core 3 test 3 now, so I would imagine that not that much has
> changed.  Is there some kind of smart update (up2date or yum?) that will
> upgrade to a new version without downloading the ISOs?

Seth Vidal had mentioned doing a guide to yum upgrades. Closest I can
find is his message on fedora-test-list:

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 14:29 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> To upgrade via yum the short version goes like this:
>
> 1. backup all your data
> 2. upgrade yum to yum from fc3
> 3. upgrade fedora-release to fedora-release from fc3
> 4. make sure all your repositories point where you think they should
> point.
> 5. run yum list updates - just to make sure things seem sane and
> working
> 6. make sure you are NOT in X and X is not loaded
> 6. from a terminal prompt run: yum upgrade
> 7. wait wait wait
> 8. you must reboot before using your system again
> 9. reboot the system and make sure you select the new kernel, not the
> old one(s)
> 10. once your system is fully booted you may want to install some
> additional items. Recommended:
>   yum groupupdate "GNOME Desktop Environment"
>

> let me know what problems you encounter.
>
> -sv

Can start an on-line anaconda HTTP or FTP install several ways.  One is
to download the images/boot.iso (or diskboot.img for a USB memory stick
if you have and can boot from that media) from the top level on-line
tree.  Can also grab vmlinuz and initrd.img from the isolinux directory
and add to grub, rename as desired:

title FC3 installer
        root(hd0,0)
        kernel /vmlinuz-FC3 ramdisk_size=9216 askmethod
        initrd /initrd-FC3.img

For FC3rc5 the above can be found at http://fedora.linux.duke.edu/FC3-
rc/3/i386/os for an advance peak, or wait for the final Monday at 3:00pm
and check your favorite mirror.  See the RELEASE-NOTES-en (or RELEASE-
NOTES-en.html).

Phil