Where is the $LANG variable defined?

Björn Persson listor1.rombobeorn at comhem.se
Sun Nov 7 17:35:33 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:

> If you are using bash you might try using the auto completion option.

Tab completion could help in some cases, when uploading or when
downloading a newer version of a file that is already on the local
system. Of course tab completion only works locally, so I'd have to type
the remote name and tab-complete the local name. That would require that
I first change the encoding in the terminal emulator to the one used for
filenames on the remote system - even though I'm not logged into the
remote system in that terminal window. Even then it doesn't help in some
cases, for example when the first letter is non-English.

Wildcards can also help in a similar way, if I can produce a unique name
with wildcards and English letters, but in many cases they don't help
either. And of course neither helps when transferring a whole directory
tree with Rsync.

Björn Persson