Hard Drive clicking in FC3

Ron Yorston rmy at tigress.co.uk
Sun Nov 7 22:20:12 UTC 2004

Bill Johnson <Bill at JohnsonAcres.com> wrote:
>The issue, in summary for those who don't remember, is that under FC1, my
>hard drive clicks periodically (it's that ominous click a hard drive gives
>right before it takes a dive).

I don't know if this is the same thing, but I had an annoying clicking of
the hard disk on my laptop.  What fixed it for me was adjusting the drive's
power management setting.  You can see the current setting with the command

   hdparm -I /dev/hda | grep 'power management'

and adjust it with a command like

   hdparm -B 200 /dev/hda

I found that values of 200 or more improved things for me, though I think
the settings may vary from drive to drive.  If you find a value you like
you can put the appropriate flag in /etc/sysconfig/harddisks to have it
applied at boot time.

Ron