Downloading core3

Dave Roberts ldave at droberts.com
Wed Nov 10 04:46:09 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 12:19, Paul Howarth wrote:
> I find that sometimes just stopping the download and restarting it using
> the same torrent file results in changed download speed, because you get
> connected to a different set of peers. If you've restarted because the
> download rate was very slow, the net result is that it's likely to
> improve.

You shouldn't even have to do that. Just let it run. It may start off
slow, but eventually it will find faster peers. I have found when
something new gets released and there are many clients in the swarm,
there are a lot of freeloaders and the program has to wade through all
them to find the people with upload bandwidth. I suspect that this isn't
purposeful, but rather an issue with misconfigured firewalls, etc. After
a few days, the swarm dies down and you're left with people who have
good upstream bandwidth and things move at a much better rate.

Also, if you have good bandwidth and an always-on connection, be nice to
others and LET YOUR CLIENT RUN! My own personal rule for bittorrent is
to let my client run until it has uploaded at least as much as I
downloaded (bittorrent karma, so to speak).

--
Dave Roberts <ldave at droberts.com>