what is the IIim service?

Stephan Matthiesen stephan.matthiesen at gmx.de
Wed Nov 10 15:11:07 UTC 2004

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 9. November 2004 09:38 schrieb Joel:
> For instance, one way of typing Japanese characters is to type the
> pronunciation as a series of Latin (Roman) characters. The input method
> for Japanese collects the sequence and converts it to kana as you type.

A quick question: Does it require a language setting (LANG=ja_JP or
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP like the old kinput2), or does it work independent of LANG?

Sorry, I'm probably not quite up to date, but when I tried to play around with
it a couple of months ago I couldn't really find any answer to this question
in the documentation. What I read (there is a tutorial on the Redhat site
somewhere) seems to assume that one wants a complete Japanese system.

But in my case I would like a normal system with German language settings, and
only occasionally type some Japanese sentences, for example in e-mails. Is
this possible?

I never really got it to work anyway (at the end I gave up and stayed with the
old kinput2). To be honest, the info on
http://www.openi18n.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=30&page=1
is overwhelming but is there a simple howto that tells me what I have to set
up to get Japanese characters on an otherwise non-Japanese system?

Thanks!
Stephan