XFS and /boot

Aly Dharshi aly.dharshi at telus.net
Wed Nov 10 16:58:43 UTC 2004

This is a known problem. It happened all the way back since the SGI XFS Redhat 9
CD. Its to do with RPM:

Steve Lord said on the XFS list:

Now you have hit the bug in rpm in the 9.0 release, it attempts to
do O_DIRECT but sends a misaligned buffer. You need to run rpm with
the environment variable LD_ASSUME_KERNEL set to 2.2.5.

Newer rpm packages from rpm.org do not have this problem.

The reason this does not show in normal redhat setups is they have
O_DIRECT turned off in the kernel. We have it enabled for XFS.

--
Aly Dharshi
aly.dharshi at telus.net

	 "A good speech is like a good dress