Downloading core3

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 10 17:58:23 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org>
Sent: Nov 10, 2004 10:15 AM
To: gene.heskett at verizon.net,
	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject: Re: Downloading core3

Am Mi, den 10.11.2004 schrieb Gene Heskett um 5:38:

> >Yep, have a look at http://sunsite.mff.cuni.cz/fedora-torrent/
>
> How about an rsync link?, that one doesn't work. That would beat a
> torrent about 10x speedwise.

> Cheers, Gene

rsync does produce high loads (is very CPU consuming) on the server
side. This is certainly the main reason why rsync isn't offered that
often.

Alexander

And for good netequette, rsync should only be used if you plan on mirroring the site and AFTER asking permission to use it.  This lets the server administrator know that you are using it.  Most locations disable it unless requested.

I think the order that I am going to use when retreiving files is:  ftp, torrent, http, rsync (after requesting permission).  Most sites allow a reget (rget) of ftp downloads.  Torrent allows you to share the file while you are downloading it.  Some sites only allow http downloads (I don't know why, ftpd can be set up with the same security permissions).  Unfortunately, most http sites are not setup to restart downloads.  I already discussed rsync above.

James McKenzie
A Proud User of Linux!