FC3, up2date, yum, apt, authenticating proxy

Nifty Hat Mitch mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 11 02:11:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 12:41:05PM -0800, Lets Go Canes wrote:
> --- William Hooper <whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > > # export http_proxy=http://fqdn.com:nnnn   [proper proxy, username,
> > ]
> > > # export proxy_username=username           [ and password set
> > ]
> > > # export proxy_passwd=password
> >
> > Try using:
> >
> > export http_proxy=http://username:password@fqdn.com:nnnn
>
> This works for yum.  It does not work for up2date or apt.  But for my
> purposes yum is good enough!  Thanks muchly!

I was going to suggest setting up squid so that squid
understands your authenticating proxy then point
up2date at the local squid proxy.

One additional layer of indirection but...

Caution... most businesses demand authentication so they can monitor
employee web use.  Do not expose yourself to personal problems and
trouble by exposing a squid proxy with your ID to unknown users.  But
it might help.... while the bug is being fixed.

At this early stage there is a small set of updated packages. Tools
like wget, curl or a browser could be used to collect the 25 or so
updated packages.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	spam unwanted email.