Port 443?

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Thu Nov 11 07:21:56 UTC 2004

Can anyone tell me what listens on port 443? I've just noticed the
following in my /etc/sysconfig/iptables:

-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -m tcp -p tcp --dport 443 -j ACCEPT

and I can't for the life of me remember putting it there. I'm fairly
safe as I'm behind a NAT router and the only ports forwarded are TCP
6881-6889 for BitTorrent. However, I'm just puzzled as to where the
above rule came from. It is possible that I added it myself when I was
trying to do some simple networking with a Mac and subsequently forgot
about it, or its possible that the configure scripts for VMware or Zope
added it. I'm just curious really.

TIA, Darren