upgrading from FC1

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Nov 11 21:12:17 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 11.11.2004 schrieb M Daniel R M um 21:37:

> Sure. It must be that.
> If I had asked a single -not multiple- question, maybe some people would
> have answered.
> I'll try to "RTFM" oopps! Sorry, this time there is no manual ...

The answer you hope for simply can't be given seriously. If you want a
short answer: don't try to upgrade from FC1 to FC3. If you want the long
version: read the list posting from over the last days. There were
people upgrading from FC2 and had problems. Read the list archive when
many upgraded to the fresh FC2 from previous FC1 and see the problems
they had. The step FC1 -> FC3 has both hurdles. In addition read the
release notes for FC2 and FC3 - yes, that is the manual for RTFM - and
understand the specific notes about the changes from the previous
release.

If you are a Linux/Fedora freshman then do a fresh install. If you have
quite some experience and are able to debug things for most parts
yourself, then with a full backup in background you might risk an
upgrade and fix non working things afterwards. In worst case the new
system will not boot and you will have to work with the rescue mode.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 22:11:39 up 22 days, 19:51, load average: 0.32, 0.23, 0.18