Verifying CD's after burn

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Nov 12 00:48:55 UTC 2004

I burn a lot of CD's for people - I use to be able to verify the burn
after burning by checking the md5sum of /dev/hdc (my burner) against
the md5sum of the iso file.

That hasn't worked in awhile - I also have tried piping the output of
dd to md5sum, but it has the same issue - I/O error happens somewhere
along the way.

I'm not positive but I think the failure started with kernel 2.6 - I'm
not sure though if it worked in FC1 - I am sure it worked in RH8.

At any rate - is there a solution to this?
I'm thinking about building a dedicated burn box - if need be, I'll put
RH8 on it but if there is a solution with newer 2.6 kernel distros that
works for verifying that a burn went correctly, I'd really prefer to
run something modern on the burn box.

Thanks for suggestions.

Would using ide-scsi instead of the kernel ide-cdrom driver work?