do I need SELinux?

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 12 13:23:10 UTC 2004

Michael A. Peters said:
[snip]
> But there are still imho too many cases where it gets in the way of
> what the desktop user wants to do for me personally to recommend it to
> desktop users. You can see this in posts on the test list. Some of that
> may be user error, but it still gets in the way sometimes. Maybe by FC4.

Most of the posts to the test list about SELinux lately have been about
httpd issues (serving from users home directories, cgi scripts, etc.).  I
would argue that the average "desktop" system wouldn't have those issues.

SELinux makes just as much sense on the desktop, because it is another
layer of permissions to keep you from making a mistake that will break
things.

--
William Hooper