How to install and burn FC3\dual boot

Ken Barber kenb at nu-world.com
Fri Nov 12 22:15:49 UTC 2004

On Friday 12 November 2004 13:07, Kimario T.  Daniel-Fawkes wrote:

>  I am new to fedora, but have been following it for a while. I just
> bought a second hard drive to install fedora but a little confused/ lost
> on the installation process.
>
> My primary hard drive is running xp and the new install is blank, I am
> downloading FC3 to my C:/  then I will burn it to a dvd (Is the correct
> way to do it?)

I know the answers to a few of your questions.  I'll answer them and hope
someone else answers the rest:

> 1. Do I need to format  may new hard drive with windows ?

No.  In fact it's better if you don't.  The Fedora installer will do all of
that for you.

> 4. How do I dual boot? Between my hard drive to my second hard
> drive

The installer will automatically set that up for you.  If there is anything
you don't understand about the dual-boot setup during the install, just leave
it at the default and everything will "just work".

> 5. Do I have to worry about putting the /boot partition in the
> first 1024  cylinders the hard drive and which one primary or secondary
> drive

No.  That's pretty much a thing of the past.  Besides, when you're installing
onto a new drive, it *will* be in the first 1024 cylinders anyway.

> 6. what is the deal with grub and how do I use it , Is it already
> in the FC3 installation process.

It "just works."  If there is anything you don't understand about Grub during
the install, just leave the choices at the defaults and it will set
everything up correctly for you.

Ken