do I need SELinux?

john bray jmblin at comcast.net
Sat Nov 13 03:48:43 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 10:01 -0500, Daniel J Walsh plumb said:
> Steven Stern wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 09:37:21 -0500, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> wrote:
> >

> >>So I would hope that people will work with it and not just turn it off
> >>as soon as they have a problem
> >>with the system.
> >>

> >I haven't had any problems and assume it's working fine on my system.  But how
> >do I know?  Will something show up in logwatch if there's something to worry
> >about?  What syslog message prefix indicates a SELINUX targeted policy
> >message?
> >
> >(Yes, this is probably in the FAQ, so if you can point me to the right one,
> >I'll go off quiely and read it.)
> >

> You might see some change in behavior of applications and usually AVC
> messages in /var/log/messages.
>
> For the most part you probably will see nothing.
>
> sestatus shows you whether it is running or not.

ok.   i got interested in checking this out.  so:

[root at junior ntp]# grep AVC /var/log/message*
[root at junior ntp]# sestatus
SELinux status:         disabled
[root at junior ntp]#

i thought that FC3 was defaulting to targeted?  this is an upgrade from
FC2 system, BTW.

what do i have to do now, to get it turned on?

john