Media Check issue with Disc 2 and 3...on fc3

Martin msembx-redhat at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 13 15:12:53 UTC 2004

I had the same problems with media checks on FC3 disk
2 and 3.  I found that the disks I wrote on /dev/hdd
would not verify when booted on /dev/hdc (a read-only
CD drive).  However, when I shut off /dev/hdc in BIOS
and booted from /dev/hdd, I got good checks.

The moral here: disks may read better when you use the
same drive they were created on.  I guess the padding
will be compatible, etc.  Also, I recorded the disks
at 4X (slow), but I'm not sure that was necessary.

Why was FC3 released when its ISO's couldn't reliably
be burned & read?  That seems pretty basic for a
distro.  The problem may be that an md5sum on an ISO
is somewhat too strict.  I believe it can fail
sometimes even if all the files in the filesystem are
OK.

-Martin