VMware does not compile

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sun Nov 14 13:21:28 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 11:04 +0100, oliver frommel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> yesterday I spent some time trying to compile the latest VMware
> demo I just downloaded from the site. After some research I
> came to the conclusion that it does not work with the Fedora 3
> kernel.
>
> During the linking stage of vmmon.o two symbols are missing
> __copy_from_user_ll and __copy_to_user. As I am not too
> familiar with the kbuild system I don't know exactly where
> they come from, as they don't show up in the vmmmon-src.
> linux/hostif.c is just using the plain functions copy_from_user()
> and copy_to_user(). (I changed both functions to their
> direct_.. counterparts, getting the same linker errors)
>
> After downloading, extracting and preparing the fedora-kernel
> srpm I found that (one of) the 4G/4G patches is removing
> the EXPORT_SYMBOL(copy_from_user).
>
> Is this the cause for the errors?
> Is there a way to make vmmon.o link without errors?
>
> thanks for your help
> Oliver

Which VMware - Workstation, GSX?  Have you tried vmware-any-any patch?
See http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/readme.txt also paying
attention to udev problems.

VMwareWorkstation-4.5.2-8848 works-for-me with help/patches from above.

[OT - may want to check out qemu.  Dag's qemu-0.6.0-1.1.fc2.dag seems to
work for FC3.  Thanks to Alan Cox for the pointer.]

Phil