FC3 with VMware hangs on shutdown

David Wolinski dwolinski at ll.mit.edu
Mon Nov 15 15:50:22 UTC 2004

Hello,
	I successfully installed VMware-workstation-4.5.2-8848 on FC3 following
the tips in the FC3 Release Notes (below).  However, when I try to
shutdown the machine, the shutdown process hangs at the following
console message:

unregister_netdevice: waiting for vmnet1 to become free. Usage count = 1

(My virtual machine uses both the vmnet1 and vmnet8 network interfaces.)

Can anyone please explain what's going on or suggest a solution?

Thanks - Dave

Clipped from FC3 Release Notes:

     o You must upgrade the kernel modules and configuration using the
       unofficial vmware-any-any-* toolkit available from:

       [5]http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/

     o After vmware-config.pl is run and the VMware modules are loaded,
the
       following command creates the /sys/class/* nodes needed for udev:

       cp -rp /dev/vm* /etc/udev/devices/