Yum problem after update on FC-3

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Mon Nov 15 20:32:13 UTC 2004

On Monday 15 November 2004 18:40, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> There is not other way to get python 2.4 than to get it by the
> development tree. I don't expect you manually did install it from
> sources or external ;)

So I guess there must have been a glitch somewhere.
But at that stage I just used the yum.repos.d files
that came with FC-3, with mirrorlist URLs.

> Then please check to what "fedora.repo" and "fedora-updates.repo" are
> pointing for you. What is the output of "rpm -q fedora-release"? Does it
> match "fedora-release-3-8" which is the FC3 version?

==================================
[tim at william kernel]$ rpm -q fedora-release
fedora-release-3-8
==================================
[tim at william yum.repos.d]$ cat fedora.repo
[base]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/fedora/linux/core/3/$basearch/os/
http://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/fedora/3/$basearch/os/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1
==================================
[tim at william yum.repos.d]$ cat fedora-updates.repo
[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=http://ftp.esat.net/pub/linux/fedora/updates/3/$basearch/
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/3/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=1

It seems to me, to sum uo, that I did nothing
that could be described as "running rawhide".
It appears that there must have been a (temporary?) glitch
in mirrorlist, or in the yum interpretation of mirrorlist.

As far as I can see it is more or less impossible to downgrade python,
so I'll just leave things until the current version gets up to 2.3.4 .

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366