which version of yum to use for FC3/+ Sound Card problems?

Greg Lobring globring at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 23:44:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:41:09 +0100, Alexander Dalloz <ad+lists at uni-x.org> wrote:
> Use "system-config-soundcard". Check your mixer settings (alsamixer) to
> be sure nothing is muted. If you can't help yourself then please provide
> more information about your hardware. The "/sbin/lspci" output can help.
>
> Alexander

I am having the exact same problem....I ensured alsamixer has nothing
muted, and I ran system-config-soundcard and got the following:

Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
  Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
  Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
  Limits: Playback 0 - 31
  Front Left: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
  Front Right: Playback 23 [74%] [on]
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/system-config-soundcard/sound-sample.wav' :
Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo

But I don't hear a thing. It recognizes my sound card fine (Aureal,
Semiconductor Vortex 2, snd-au8830).

CD sound works fine...but no system sound at all! (It didn't work on
FC2 either, I was hoping upgrading to FC3 would help...)

I would really like to get sound working.