Time required in installation of Fedora Core 3

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Tue Nov 16 02:41:09 UTC 2004

Wong Kwok-hon wrote:

>Hello!
>
>How much time would it take when perform a fresh install in Fedora Core 3 ?
>
>I mean I need to delete the old Fedora Core 2 partition and install.

If you do an install using NFS images, it is pretty fast. Around 20 to
25 minutes depending on your CPU speed and how much memory you have. But
the real secret to a fast install is to do it over NFS, http, or ftp.

One thing I have not tried doing these days (but experimented
indifferently with in the distant past) is a Kickstart install. I know
from past experience using Kickstart floppy disks made by another fellow
that if they are done right, you can clone an installation on bunches of
machines very quickly. (A lot of ifs, ands, or buts apply here. Or did
at one time, unless Kickstart has been improved a lot recently.)

On my shiny new AMD 64 system, I've been able to do installs in under 25
minutes plus about about hour (or more) of configuring other things.
I've learned that it saves a lot of headaches and bother to set up a
dhcp server and let dhcp do all the network configuration for me. And I
pretty much know by memory what packages I want. I've got a lot of
experience with installs. If you haven't done Fedora before, block out
several hours and give yourself plenty of time. Sit down with the
release notes, mediacheck your CD's (yes I do mediacheck my CD #1 or my
DVD) and read the 11 pages or so of notes. Then walk through the install
several times in "dry runs" to get used to what you see.

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA