FC3 issue with apache 2

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Tue Nov 16 11:10:06 UTC 2004

scootgirl.com wrote:

>>> I installed FC3 and I wanted to move my apache2 documentroot from
>>> its default /var/www/html to another volume located at
>>> /space/vhosts. When I do this apache2 complains:
>>>
>>> Syntax error on line 265 of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf:
>>> DocumentRoot must be a directory
>>>
>>> This is a directory and is writeable by me, and has the user apache
>>> access to list and read its files. Yet, for some reason, apache
>>> doesn't like this volume.
>>

>> What do you get when you do a 'grep -i documentroot
>> /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf'
>>
>> and a 'ls -l /space/'   ?
>

> I get:
>
> DocumentRoot "/var/www/html"
> #DocumentRoot "/space/vhosts"
>
> The second entry I comment out and try both. I get that error when the
> DocumentRoot "/space/vhosts" is used.

I'm running FC2 at the moment, and I just duplicated what you did (even
changed the perms to match your /space/vhosts/  dir), and it worked fine
for me. Can you try to run '*system-config-securitylevel' and turn off
SELinux for the httpd daemon and try it again? If it still doesn't work,
run '**system-config-securitylevel' again and turn it back on.

Let us know what happens.

*