How to mount a partition as root and make it world read-write?

VJ vj at vijaygill.homelinux.net
Tue Nov 16 13:04:15 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Howarth" <paul at city-fan.org>
To: "For users of Fedora Core releases" <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2004 12:57 PM
Subject: Re: How to mount a partition as root and make it world read-write?

> VJ wrote:
> >      The method you suggest was known to me, but the thing is i do not
want
> > to execute anything apart from using fstab file. If everything else
fails, I
> > will use this method as the last resort.
>
> There are two phases to getting what you want:
>
> 1. Preparing the filesystem, and
> 2. Setting up the fstab file.
>
> If the filesystem is prepared properly, the following fstab file entry
will work:

> /dev/hdh3 /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2
>
> Now, could you run those commands and show us the output?
>
> Paul.
>
> --

under root login, /etc/fstab contains the following line (i changed your
ext3 to ext2)
***********************
/dev/hdh3               /t            ext2      defaults        1 2

then root mounted /t
[root at dxr ~]# mount /t

under mythtv user
[mythtv at dxr work]$ mkdir /t/t
mkdir: cannot create directory `/t/t': Permission denied
[mythtv at dxr work]$