bugzilla not being particularly helpful

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Nov 16 14:52:55 UTC 2004

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> and there it is, under "fedora core", "devel".  so what's the
> guidelines for how one selects, say, a release to search under?  i
> mean, if i'm installing FC3 for the first time, and i see this problem
> for the first time, and i search using what i *think* are reasonably
> comprehensive search criteria, i still might come up with nothing.
>
> what's the policy for how bugs get categorized?  if something is still
> a bug in FC3, should i not expect to find it categorized there in
> bugzilla?  just looking for guidance here.

It's listed under whatever the original bug submitter classified it as. It
might be useful for whoever gets assigned the bug to also classify it
correctly (can a single bug be in multiple categories?). This might also be
useful for bugs that are still bugs as new releases are made, e.g. discovered
in fc3test1 but not fixed until fc3 release should also be findable in
fc3test2 and fc3test3. Of course, someone would have to maintain all of this,
a thankless task if ever there was one.

I think it's just a case of getting experience at using bugzilla and knowing a
few tricks for finding things. I also find google quite useful for finding
things in bugzilla, though it didn't help much in this case.

Paul.