FC3 coasters

Michael Jezierski - Systec Conveyors mjezierski at systecconveyors.com
Tue Nov 16 16:34:17 UTC 2004

Paul Howarth wrote:

> Rick Lim wrote:
>
>> Hi there
>> I've downloaded FC3 via bittorent and burn all 5 disks, using these
>> disk I
>> upgraded my laptop from FC2 to FC3 with no problems.
>> When I try to upgrade desktops with the same disks they fail, I have
>> then
>> tried a media check of the disks and they fail, so I've burn more
>> disks only
>> to have them fail.
>>
>> How does one go about checking the downloaded iso images are sound
>> before
>> burning a bunch of coasters?
>

> Most likely all of your CDs are fine. Try booting using "linux
> ide=nodma".
>
> You can check that your ISO downloads are OK by comparing the md5sums
> with those published on the download site:
>
> md5sum -c MD5SUM
>
> where MD5SUM is the file of that name in the iso directory that you
> downloaded the ISO images from
>
> You can check that your burned CDs are OK by getting the data back off
> the CD and either comparing the file with the original ISO or checking
> its md5sum.
>
> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=burned-iso-1.iso bs=16384
> cmp burned-iso-1.iso FC3-i386-disc1.iso
> md5sum burned-iso-1.iso  (then compare the result with that in the
> MD5SUM file)
>
> Paul.

On a related note, I'm getting similar behavior on a SE440BX based Intel
mobo, getting "No Fedora CD found" on FC2 and FC3 .. something to that
effect AFTER booting on said CD.

Hmmmm newsflash just put in a CD and started with your ide=nodma ... it
seems to have sorted out that odd behavior.

--
Mike Jezierski - IT something or other...
Systec Conveyors - Indianapolis, IN