FC2 and OpenSSL 0.9.7e

Hegge, Johnathan jhegge at permeo.com
Tue Nov 16 19:16:43 UTC 2004

Needing some of the features of the current release of OpenSSL 0.9.7e, I
downloaded and built the current source.  I can get this built but I
have a few questions, if someone can help.

If I remove openssl-0.9.7a-35 RPM, can I "make install" this newer
version and still use the other dependent apps, such as OpenLDAP and
OpenSSH?

I see that even for FC3 that 0.9.7a is still in use, is there a reason
that Fedora is not picking up the newer versions, is there a problem?
This 7a version is getting quite old.  I can't find much published
related to Fedora and newer OpenSSL releases.

There is an openssl.spec file in the package.  I modified it to build my
own RPM since it's out of date.  I need to repackage this as an RPM for
installs elsewhere.  I set this for a linux-pentium arch but would
linux-ppro produce an i686 RPM rather than i386 -- I only plan to
support i686 arch.  I'm executing "rpmbuild -bb openssl.spec".

Thanks