PCI card not being detected

Paul Kopacz paul.kopacz at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 19:32:47 UTC 2004

Hi all,

I have a problem that I think is hardware based, but since people here
seem to know something about everything, I thought someone might be
able to give me some advice:

I have a PCI modem which I have attempted to install into a box with
an ECS P6LX-A+ motherboard.  This computer does not seem to detect
this card (as in lspci does not list the card).  I have a SCSI
controller, a video card, and an ethernet card in the other 3 PCI
ports on this board.  I have tried different slots, even tried
removing the ethernet card entirely to see if there is some sort of
conflict (I can't remove the video card for obvious reasons nor the
SCSI card as I then couldn't boot).  The PCI modem is not fried, as
putting it into another computer and running lspci shows:

00:0d.0 Communication controller: Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem (rev 02)

(Yes I know this is a winmodem, but there are linux drivers).

Any help anyone can give me (even if it's directing me to a forum
where a question like this would be more appropriate) would be very
much appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul Kopacz