HP DL140

Justin Crabtree crabtrej at otc.edu
Tue Nov 16 19:59:01 UTC 2004

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 11:42, Justin Crabtree wrote:
>

>>So, did everything else work okay with Fedora?  We want to use these
>>servers for LDAP and the version that comes with FC3 is more current
>>than RHEL3 so we would like to be able to install FC3 on them.  I would
>>expect that Redhat would want the NIC issue fixed since RHEL4 is based
>>on FC3 and they will want HP to be able to sell these servers with RHEL4
>>when it comes out.  Anyone know if this is fixed already or when it will
>>be fixed?
>

> If these are important production systems why not install RHEL or some
> other commercially available Linux.  Then if you want the latest and
> greatest LDAP service pull that down and build it for your system.
>
> This way you don't expose your self to potential problems from a
> bleeding edge distribution.
>
> I have run RH8 systems for some time but built apache, php, and
> postgresql from the latest versions with patches applied.
>
> Those systems have been very stable and reliable.

We may do that.  The reason for using FC3 over RHEL3 is that the version
of OpenLDAP included with FC3 is fairly recent and it just works.  That
makes life easier for non-experts such as myself.  If I end up having to
build it from source, I will, but I would prefer to avoid that if there
is an easier solution that will work just as well.  Which is why I
wanted to get some feedback about Fedora on this platform.  To help me
make an informed decision.  Appreciate the help.

--
Justin Crabtree
Java Programmer