fedora core 3 and ghost

Jesse Jarzynka denisesballs at thecybersource.com
Wed Nov 17 18:34:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 12:26, Wong Kwok-hon wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 02:36:34 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II
> <mikes at kuentos.guam.net> wrote:
> > I have ghost 2003, and it crashed on the LVM drives, but I was able
> > to use G4U to create an image file. Did a full install of FC3 on a
> > clean 80GB drive, and did a g4u. Created a 14GB image file. Then I
> > used the option to copy NULLs to all the free space on the drive,
> > and redid the image file, and it was only 2.5GB.  Just do a google
> > search for G4U, and it is usually the very first hits. Note: This
> > doesn't work well when going to a smaller drive, but same size and
> > larger seem to work fine. Even did it with one that was a little
> > smaller, and after running fsck after a shutdown -r -F now seemed
> > to fix the error message.
> >
> > On 17 Nov 2004 at 10:26, Carrie Knox wrote:
> >
> > Date sent:              Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:26:31 -0600
> > From:                   Carrie Knox <knox at sgi.com>
> > To:                     fedora-list at redhat.com
> > Subject:                fedora core 3 and ghost
> > Send reply to:          For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> >         <mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>
> >

> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'm wondering if anyone has been able to successfully create a Symantec
> > > or Norton ghost image of an FC2 or FC3 installed system.
> > >
> > > In the past I have been able to create compressed ghost images of
> > > various RedHat 9 and RedHat9/Win2K dualboot systems OK.    After
> > > installing Fedora Core 2 (and now Core 3),  I am unable to create a
> > > compressed Ghost image.  I get this Ghost error "Application error
> > > 29004"  "Read sector failure, result=1, drive=0, sectors -456237413 to
> > > -456237411".   This is not a failed device issue.  I've received this
> > > exact same error on several Fedora installed hardware platforms.  The
> > > disk type doesn't seem to matter.   I am able to obtain a block by block
> > > copy of the disk, but I really need the compressed ghost image that can
> > > be reloaded onto a variety of disk sizes.
> > >
> > > I'm using the GRUB bootloader and ext3 filesystems with the bootloader
> > > located in the MBR.  I've reverted to LILO as the boot loader with no
> > > success... still get the ghost sector read error.
> > >
> > > Initially, I was running Symantec Ghost 8.0, but have updated to
> > > Symantec Ghost 8.2.0.1117 after contacting Symantec for assistance.
> > > I've tried a variety of ghost options (-fni, -ffx,-bfc, -ib, -fdsz
> > > -fdsp, -ffs, -fns, -fnu, -or).  Ghost -ia and -id both worked.
> > >
> > > Symantec support's final response was... "In regards to your issue with
> > > Ghost 8.2.0.1117 when cloning Fedora EXT3 systems...
> > > One would expect that cloning an EXT3 file system would be just that
> > > simple. However, it appears that there might be something different when
> > > using Fedora, perhaps something to do with the partition structure. We
> > > suggest you continue to try the switches   -IA -IB -FRO or -BFC as a
> > > workaround. You can include compression with any of these switches. The
> [...]

This seems to be kind of the same problem I'm having with dump/restore.
The LVM partitions are the first times I've ever seen it fail. If you
guys are interested in copying whole Linux operating systems you should
try this. This has worked with everything except core 3 so far.

/dev/hda is new drive
/dev/hdb is existing Linux o/s

After creating and formatting the relative partitions on /dev/hda with
linux rescue cd:

$ mkdir /mnt/disk
$ mount /dev/hdaX /mnt/disk
$ cd /mnt/disk
$ dump -0uf - /dev/hdbX | restore xf -
$ mkswap /dev/hdaX (for swap)

Then just make sure your fstab and modprobe.conf files are correct. This
is the way we've been installing all our pre-configured RedHat/Fedora
Cor 1,2 systems to new PC's and it's worked everytime except with the
new Core 3 partitioning system. Does anyone know anything about the new
partitioning system and/or why there's no swap partition anymore?

Jesse Jarzynka
Cyber Source
http://www.thecybersource.com/