up2date not installing kernel

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Thu Nov 18 18:22:13 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 18.11.2004 schrieb Noah um 19:00:

> > up2date-nox -v -u -f

> excellent command  - finding a segmentation fault.  so I am not sure what to
> do next.
>
> --- snip ---
>
> [root at dhcp-179-1-168-192 root]# up2date-nox -v -u -f
> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/fedora-core-2
> using mirror: http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/2/i386/os/
> http://fedora.redhat.com/download/up2date-mirrors/updates-released-fc2
> using mirror: http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/updates/2/i386/

[ ... ]

> Testing package set / solving RPM inter-dependencies...
> Segmentation fault
> [root at dhcp-179-1-168-192 root]#

You system is behaving well at all?

For updating with the latest X.org packages (security updates) I would
suggest you leave X mode by logging out, going to console with
Ctrl+Alt+F1 and then switching to runlevel 3 with "init 3" after you
logged in as root. This ensures that no X components are used during the
update. Then do the up2date run again, but leave out the "-f" switch.
this will leave out the kernel. After X is updated you can update the
kernel separately by again using the "-f" parameter.
Maybe it is useful for you to edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources to select
a well working nearby mirror server for your location. Can't judge how
good the kernel.org mirror works for you.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 2 (Tettnang) on Athlon kernel 2.6.8-1.521smp
Serendipity 19:22:07 up 21:08, 16 users, 0.58, 0.44, 0.51