clamassassin with call to clamav software corrupts mai

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Thu Nov 18 22:03:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 21:10:53 -0500 (EST)
fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

> > I found out that clamassassin does not cause duplicate mail messages because
> > even if I commented out the .procmailrc rule I still experienced the
> > duplicate mail messages. I have since updated clamassassin to version 2.2 and
> > have modified my .procmailrc rules to reflect Alexander Dolloz
> > suggestions. I found out that the duplicate mail generation occurs if I
> > leave fetchmail running for an hour or more. I don't know why. I find if
> > I stop fetchmail after a lull in receiving messages that I don't experience
> > the duplicate mail messages. I am puzzled by this. I will once more show you
> > my .procmailrc file after I have made the corrections. If you see something
> > amiss please let me know.
>
> > Richard E Miles
>
> I feel you got a step forward and found out that your problem is with
> fetchmail. So it would be good if you tell us, how often you call
> fetchmail and how your .fetchmailrc looks like. Maybe fetching mail
> overlaps. Do you keep the mail on the server? Do you call fetchmail by a
> cronjob or is it running in daemon mode? If it is first make sure it
> does not run while a previous process still fetches. That could be done
> with a crontab line like:
>
> */5 0-1,7-23 * * * if [ "`ps --User remiles| grep fetchmail`" == "" ];
> then /usr/bin/fetchmail > /dev/null 2>&1; fi
>
> Set your fetchmail into verbose mode and log it's processing. This way
> you can get when and why it delivers the same mail more than once to
> your local MTA. Do you run multi-drop or single-drop? If unsure a view
> at the mail header of a fetched mail can tell you (its in one of the
> Received header lines).
>
> Alexander

I envoke fetchmail with a simple command line fetchmail, no options except those
in my .fetchmailrc file. Here is my .fetchmailrc file:

# Configuration created Sun Jul 11 10:36:42 2004 by fetchmailconf
set postmaster "rmiles"
set bouncemail
set no spambounce
set properties ""
set daemon 90
poll mail.comcast.net with proto POP3
       user 'r.godzilla' there with password '*******' is 'rmiles' here

I have put asterisks where the password goes. I run singledrop. I do not start
it in a cronjob. It runs in daemon mode.
I will take your suggestion and use -v -v command line options to capture the
control messages between the server. The mail server does not keep messages.
Should I use the -K option to ensure the fetched mail is removed from the
server?

I will let you know how the log of communications turns out.
Thank you for your assistance.

--
Richard E Miles
Federal Way WA.