Fwd: Re: problem on fc3 install dell cerc sata raid card/aacraid driver-UPDATED?

Randy toucan at tropicalrain.us
Fri Nov 19 14:00:00 UTC 2004

>At 10:23 AM 11/18/2004, you wrote:
>>Ok, we have a dell poweredge 1800.  If we do fc3
>>linux rescue, it sees all the drives as a single raid
>>container, making /dev/sda correctly display as
>>220gb.
>><snip>
>>help?  Do i need to provide some parameter on booting
>>the linux install?  I can do EVERYTHING fine with the
>>partition from linux rescue, what's the deal with the
>>install?

I am running an Adaptec 2410SA controller with four SATA 160
drives.  Everything installed perfectly with FC3-test3 and FC3.    Each was
a fresh format and install.  I manually partitioned the empty space with
disk druid so I'm not using LVM, but I don't think that should make a
difference.

The only issue I had with it was random lockups under heavy load.  That's
when I figured the dumb card badly needed a heat sink and/or better air
flow, and drilled a hole in the case in front of the card for a _quiet_ 4cm
fan (They do exist.  Really!)  I haven't had a lock-up since.  I haven't
found a heat sink I could glue on yet, but might not need one now... and
I'm not sure where to get really good heat conductive glue.