ls colors question

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 19 19:54:51 UTC 2004

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Stuart MacDonald wrote:

> ls colours in FC3 are much much darker than in previous RH releases.
> It's almost as if my old RH 7.2 system was using light blue for
> directories, and FC3 is using dark blue. I've compared the LD_COLORS
> env variable, they are identical. I've compared the actual ASNI codes
> that ls outputs (--color=always > file) and they are the same!
>
> So that implies that the terminal is doing the colors differently.
> I tried slogging through the termcap/terminfo, I really did. I was
> unable to find anything that looked like a color table/specification/
> layout/map.
>
> Why is "blue" now "dark blue"? How can I change that so the new blue
> is the same as the old blue (aka "light blue")?

There was a discussion about terminals/colors in fedora-test-list a
few months back - you might want to check the archives.. (look for
xterm, Mike Harris)

I believe RH7* has lots of modifications to the terminal types - and
the newer fedora releases are trying to be more close to upsteram
code..

Satish