Problem with xfce4 and gnome-panel with FC3

Basil Copeland blcjr at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 19 20:22:27 UTC 2004

With xfce4 now available as an option during
installation with FC3, I put it on an old box that
previously ran RH 7.3.

Even with only 96 mb of ram and an old PII 333, FC3
runs surprisingly well with xfce4 as the desktop.

Then I read on osnews about using gnome-panel instead
of the xfce4 panel.  But if I load gnome-panel through
xfce4's xinitrc file, the task bar doesn't work.  On
the other hand, if I open ax xfce4 session, and load
gnome-panel from a terminal prompt, the task bar
works.

Would anybody familiar with xfce4 on FC3 have an idea
why this is?