clamassassin with call to clamav software corrupts mail messages

Richard E Miles r.godzilla at comcast.net
Sun Nov 21 01:06:06 UTC 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:54:39 -0500 (EST)
fedora-list-request at redhat.com wrote:

> > As a follow up to may last message I have observed socket errors in the
> > fetchmail log. Every time this happens it is followed by it looks like a
> > restart with downloading the messages. I did a grep for socket in the log. Here
> > is what I found.:
> >
> > fetchmail: socket error while fetching from mail.comcast.net
>
> That can happen, maybe a temporary server side problem or an internet
> connection problem on your side. I have this too in my fetchmail log.
>
> But if a mail is deleted on the server - "DELE NO." command, indicated
> by "flushed" by fetchmail - then the mail is no longer on the server. If
> you can get it a further time though, then the server has a serious
> problem.
>
> > Richard E Miles
>
> Alexander

So the socket errors are caused by errors on the server side? I guess that is
possible. This afternoon the internet connection between the server and my
computer went down. I could not ping www.comcast.net. It was down about a
half hour. Now it's back. Could the socket error cause fetchmail to get
confused as well as the server and thus cause duplicate transmission of
messages?

--
Richard E Miles
Federal Way WA.