USB Drive named NO_NAME?

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sun Nov 21 02:41:59 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 19:05 -0500, Emily Brantley wrote:
> oh gosh... didn't realize it was a usb hard drive partition.  i'm
> thinking of my usb key (which uses the vendor and product info) so i was
> a little confused here...

I think it would apply to any FAT filesystem but maybe not if it is on a
raw device.  I'd guess many USB keys don't come with DOS partitions on
them?  My DOS partitioned Compact Flash card (sda1) with the label
"Photographs" is mounted under /media/Photographs when I insert it.
Seems like about half the CF cards I've seen are partitioned and the
others are not.  I haven't tried any non-partitioned cards on FC3 yet.

You don't particularly need DOS partitions even on hard disks; except
for DOS compatibility and the BIOS boot disk.  My LVM physical volumes
are directly on unpartitioned disks: /dev/hdc, hdf, hdg, hdh

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/