OT: Bus Speed

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sun Nov 21 03:24:25 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-11-20 at 18:37 -0800, RoboticGolem wrote:
> Could the pci bus speed cause instability issues?  I just noticed that
> my mainboard has two speeds 66 and 33...  It comes default at 66...

Must be pretty long-in-the-tooth.  Current bus speeds are about an order
of magnitude higher.   (Mine is only a bit newer - 100MHz bus).

> Has anyone heard of system intabilities because of this?

Overclocking can definitely cause instability, but that does not seem
likely to be the case here.  Are you having stability problems?  RAM is
a frequent culprit.  If so may want to run memtest86 from CD#1.

Phil