imap

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Nov 21 04:15:34 UTC 2004

On Sunday 21 November 2004 11:43, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> > I've just discovered in the paat day or so that kmail can't filter my
> > mail.
> >
> > Consequenly, I won't be using it for long.
>
> Cyrus comes with sieve server.  Sieve is a standard daemon for server-side
> email filtering.  Something like procmail, however users don't need to have
> accounts and shell access to email server, as is usually case with procmail
> installations.  There are several web based GUIs for managing sieve
> filters. Not as powerfull as procmail, but much easier to use (once you get
> one of web based GUIs up and running).
>
> That way you have email filtering centralized (it is part of IMAP server).
>  You don't need any support for it in email clients.  And there is no more
> tedious job of synchronizing your email filters on each and every box you
> use to read your email.  Not to mention avoiding tedious job of making them
> work the same in different email clients.  Maybe your kmail will avoid
> early retirement, eh ;-)

I went to define a flter in Kmail; I turned on Seive support. The help
explicitly  says it does not support imap filtering.

For me to use filtering, I have to have a means of configuring it and I don't
see how to do that.

I'm running Nahant so there's not great likelihood of a new version in the
near future.

Thuunderbird does filter (it does it itself) well enough to sort mail into
diverse folders. It's not in nahant-1 tho.

evolution's got the sulks, doesn't start any more. I'm in great shape;-)

--
Cheers
John