third party rpms and cached man pages

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sun Nov 21 06:54:59 UTC 2004

I recently installed smartmontools from a third party rpm and had trouble
seeing the updated man pages because there were cached versions of the
old ones. I think the problem was that the cached man pages were timestamped
with when they were created (not when the man pages they were derived from
were created) and the newly installed man pages had a timestamp from
when they were created for the rpm (not when they were installed) so that
the cached pages still had a later timestamp than the new pages.

Is there some documentation on the proper way to install man pages from an
rpm so that any cached version of the man pages will be treated as out
of date? (Or possibly the rpm should just remove the cached versions?)