FC3: mDNS Service Discovery in GNOME

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Sun Nov 21 09:18:18 UTC 2004

Has anyone managed to use dns-sd in FC3 with Nautilus or GNOME-VFS?
What does it take to setup?  From what I have seen and read mDNS
services should simply appear in the network: location.  And other
domains should be accessible using the dns-sd: handler.

My local mDNS Responders appear to be working.  I built the howl sample
program 'mDNSBrowse' and I can request a list of specific services on
the LAN.

$ ./mDNSBrowse _ssh._tcp
browse reply: Add Service 0x2 Daneel Secure Shell _ssh._tcp. local.
browse reply: Add Service 0x2 Gaia Secure Shell _ssh._tcp. local.
resolve reply: 0x2 Daneel Secure Shell _ssh._tcp. local. 192.168.2.150
22
resolve reply: 0x2 Gaia Secure Shell _ssh._tcp. local. 192.168.2.153 22

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/