dual boot FC and RHEL3

linux r linuxr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 20:12:08 UTC 2004

Hi,  I have a FC3 box that I want to put RHEL3 on (actually WB but
same differrence right).  Anyway here is my partition layout (80 G
drive):

Disk /dev/hdd: 33.8 GB, 33820286976 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 4111 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

/dev/hdd1   *           1        1275    10241406    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hdd2            1276        1288      104422+  83  Linux
/dev/hdd3            1289        4111    22675747+  8e  Linux LVM
[root at 202 ~]#

When I did the FC install I accidentally put GRUB on the MBR (I
think), which removed my xp functionality.  Questions for the group
are:

1) Is there a way in linux to get the windows partition/os/bootability
back?  If so, how?

2)  Can I dual boot Fedora with RHEL3/WB, 'as is' ?  IOW, what else do
I need to set up, partition-wise?   Will a second *nix installation,
'see' and use any of the other stuff from the current Fedora install?
Has anyone else attempted a dual boot of Linuxes and if so what did
you do.  Can you share a /boot for example between two OS-es?
Anything else?

I tried this before with SuSE and FC and it wouldn't let me proceed
b/c it would not let me mark any additional partition as active.
Thanks in advance

Marc